Tuesday, January 22, 2008

the CONTINUING SAGA of Green Coconut Kefir...



WHAT do you do when your car is under eight inches of fresh snow in Milwaukee, WI?

ANSWER: You go to Pick 'N Save and pick up 17 green coconuts. That's what ya do!



By some freak "synchronicity?" (freak-o-nicity) I went with my brother to the supermarket, and, literally walked right into them, a neatly arranged display of green "water" coconuts, just screaming for me! Stupified and in total shock, we grabbed most of them up (this IS...Pick 'N Save, folks) and then bumped into the manager (future orders can be placed on Monday to ensure Thursday store delivery, the only Pick 'N Save in the area who does this, as the manager proudly stated)

They are coming from Florida, not certified organic, but green coconuts go through a RIGOROUS filtration "on the vine" I gotta think they are mighty kosher.

Then I cruised over to Mercado El Rey before I left Milwaukee, and scored another 29 green coconuts, and supercool manager Eddie (I didn't even ask) quoted me "box price" which is $1.81 each (normally $2.68-2.88 each)! I gave him a Sammy Sosa chest salute, actually just a big wave and a huge thanks, and was on my way back NORTH.

ONCE HOME: I carefully popped 9 coconuts for (3 quarts) water, which will take (3) packets of kefir grains, for one WHOPPING glass jar of coconut water kefir. CAN'T WAIT for it to ferment and bubble up...

ALSO while in Milwaukee, Outpost Foods, Saturday free-sample day, the few guys from BURGIES ORGANICS were there pouring samples of their..... line of homemade coconut water kefirs. I mean think about that, a couple guys from a little farm in Wisconsin, making coconut water kefir, for sale next to the organic milk, in glass bottles, at Outpost Foods. Totally bizarre, a coconut weekend in Wisconsin - who'd have ever possibly thunk

It almost seems too easy sometimes, or as if it was ordered ahead in advance. Or at least the Coconut Gods must seriously love me .....I know I love them.

FUNNY RELEVANCE: As we were picking them up one by one, a funny old lady in red pulled up "Those are coconuts aren't they," and was pleased when I affirmed "Yep, these are the young coconuts, these ones are just full of water" and she buttoned-up-the-scene "Oh, they're all the same" and tried to leave-the-room-on-that-note like they do on TV (except she was pushing a cart in this instance), and before I got out a "OH NO, IT JUST AIN'T SO" I kept clamtrapped and remembered the recent article about older people being disagreeable because they are actually "smarter." Yes, yes.

No comments: